Sunday, August 26, 2012

#2: More thoughts aren't our own?!?

Douglas Rushkoff wrote something I have never read before. He spilled all the beans on how advertisers manipulate us. How our thoughts aren't our own, and he even used the same tactics they use and explained how and why.

Do we even have free will anymore? Rushkoff seems to think we can fight this, we can fight the people who scientifically design ways to get us to act and do things a certain way. I am having a harder time believing because by the middle of the page I was sure I would be able to resist, and fight these thoughts that are not mine. But that is exactly what Rushkoff wanted from me. He explained how he set me up to succumb to exactly what he warned me about, by himself. 

By now I'm sure most of you have seen Inception(2010). a great film but we find out that implanting thoughts and ideas in our heads is not as hard as the movie set it out to be. A floor plan, paint colors, even a button (or lack of a button) can sway and manipulate us. Perhaps maybe not as deep as the film, but a lot easier by comparison. 

Besides feeling betrayed that Rushkoff manipulated me in his story, I cant fault him. He has been doing a huge public service in trying to educate the public on how to keep out thoughts our own. His manipulation only served as a very sophisticated example to show how easy is in this day and age to impress on us, to control us. 

I caution all my readers to please. Retain your thoughts and learn how to defend yourself because they are always out there, hunting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment